It is well known how important it is to protect the skin from harmful UV radiation. With proper and daily use of sunscreen products, we prevent the appearance of skin cancer, slow down aging, prevent the appearance of dark spots and wrinkles on the face. Harmful UV radiation is closely related to pollution andoxidation, creation of free radicals that damage the skin, it encourages the formation of dark spots, age spots and leads to loss of elasticity. As much as 80% of premature skin ageing is caused by sunlight.
Dermatologists recommend daily use of sunscreen products to people of all skin types, especially fair-skinned and sensitive individuals, those prone to cancer, hyperpigmentation, rosacea, etc. Protection should be used in sunny periods, but also when it is cloudy, because of a high index of harmful UV radiation during this period. Despite the recommendations, barely 11% of people use sunscreens on a daily basis.
The best sun protection for the face are creams that create a physical barrier on the skin and contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Creams with these formulas are thick and leave white residue on the skin, so they are not practical. A good protective face cream that can be used every day should be light in texture, non-greasy, it should not clog pores or leave a sticky and shiny mark on the skin. It is recommended that the protection factor for UVA radiation (which causes skin ageing) and UVB radiation (which causes burns) be at least SPF 30, and preferably SPF 50+. Protective products should be chosen depending on the skin type and existing skin problems.
Best face sunscreens
- Sunscreens for blemishes and hyperpigmentation – Skin prone to blemishes requires strict daily protection from the sun using products that cover a wide range of UV radiation, but also protection from visible light, pollution and oxidation. These products contain active ingredients such as procerad, niacinamide and mineral pigments. It is desirable that products intended for skin prone to blemishes be toned, because in that way they provide protection from visible light, which can also provoke the formation of blemishes. (Bioderma Photoderm M SPF 50+, Anthelios Pigment Correct SPF 50+)
- Sunscreens for sports and water – These products provide very high protection due to the addition of special filters, have high resistance to water, sand and sweat. They prevent deep damage to the epidermis because they protect against UVA, UVB and ultra-long UVA rays. They are suitable for all skin types. (Anthelios UVMune 400 Fluid SPF 50+)
- Sunscreens for oily skin – Oily skin prone to acne requires specially formulated sunscreens that will not clog pores, labeled as oil-free, which also provide a mattifying effect for 12 hours. In addition to protection against UV radiation, these products contain active substances such as salicylic acid, niacinamide and zinc. (Eucerin Oil Control SPF 50+, Anthelios Oil Correct SPF 50+)
- Anti-ageing sunscreens – Products designed for all skin types which prevent photoageing and help reduce wrinkles. These products with fluid textures are enriched with long-chain and short-chain hyaluronic acid, ceramides, contain antioxidants that neutralize free radicals, glycyrrhetinic acid, which stimulates the DNA repair mechanism. They are used for the face and décolleté, have a long-lasting mattifying effect and are suitable as a make-up base. (Eucerin Photoaging Control SPF 50+, Avene Anti-ageingSPF 50+)
- Sunscreens for sensitive skin – Sensitive skin prone to redness and rosacea requires very high UV protection and additional hydration. Products intended for intolerant and reactive skin prevent damage caused by pollution and infrared rays, contain neurosensins that have a calming effect on itching and redness, with the addition of ingredients that hydrate the skin. (Anthelios Sun Intolerace SPF 50+, Bioderma Photoderm AR 50+)
- Sunscreen for chronically sun-damaged skin – Chronically sun-damaged skin is prone to skin cancers and actinic keratoses. It requires very high protection from UV rays with the addition of DNA enzymes (reparosomes) and other antioxidants that stimulate DNA repair mechanisms. Long-lasting protection (8-12hours) is achieved after just one application of the cream. (Avene SunsiMed SPF 50+ )
- Sunscreen in the form of a stick – Special protective formulations in the form of sticks enable complete physical blockage of UV rays, which is achieved by applying the product several times to the same place. The effect is similar to covering the skin with a band-aid. It is very resistant to water and sweat. Sticks are used for areas of the skin that must not be exposed to the sun, such as scars and wounds. (Avene Stick SPF 50+)
- Tinted sunscreens – In addition to high UVA and UVB protection, they even out the skin complexion, cover imperfections and mattify the skin (Anthelios Pigmentation SPF 50+, Photoderm Nude Touch SPF 50+). Lighter formulas designed for sensitive skin can be in the form of BB cream. They provide a hydrating effect, light tinting and SPF 30+ (Sensibio AR BB SPF 30+).
Dr. Slađana Cvejić, specialist in skin and venereal diseases